Monday, March 06, 2006

Welcome to March everybody. The infamous month in a JET participants life when nothing ever happens.

Seriously, I feel like my life is like a television set stuck on a repeat of "Leave it to Beaver." Everything I do I've done before, and all of it is a little bit lukewarm.

Every weekday:

Wake up in a freezing room? Check.
Do absolutely nothing at work? Check.
Drink entirely too much coffee? Check.
Walk home in the rain? Check.
Eat an inordinate amount of carbohydrates for dinner? Check.
Take a 45 minute shower? Check.
Pass out reading with my neck at an awkward angle? Check.
Can't ever read the goddamn mail? Check.

Every weekend:

Come home from work on Friday planning not to go out and thereby not spend hundreds of dollars? Check.
End up going out and spending hundreds of dollars? Check.
Kill my liver and kidneys? Check.
Wake up on Saturday morning on someones floor, cold and a tiny bit angry? Check.
Promise yourself not to go out on Saturday night? Check.
Go out on Saturday night until 8am, totally unnecissarily? Check.
Wake up Sunday in your own bed a tad more angry and twice as broke? Check.
Go to a five hour play practice for which you have five whole lines (One for every hour)? Check.
Decide to pass the time in between your five whole lines drinking one beer with Geoff that then turns into six or seven? Check.
Wake up on monday morning for work with a lingering hangover? Check.


March is so tame that everybody leaves. Literally, the entire JET population will be leaving for a full fourth of it, not only because it's easy to pull for days off in March, but also because I think a lot of people are totally burned out. I, for one, could use a change of scenery.


Staying out until 7am is a lot less cool than you may think. The last train is at 10:50, the first is at 6am, and somewhere in between senior year of college and now I started hating sleeping on people's floors. It's pretty much a matter of simple mechanics. It's not like I'm doing something mind-blowingly awesome that makes me forget the time completely and I look up and go "Holy Hell! It's 7am!

7am is all to rarely something that "sneaks up on you." Its usually more something that you have to fight dearly for. My quality of life would improve drastically if the JR rail system offered even one all-stops-included train between the hours of 11pm and 6am. I suggest at 3am. 3am is around the time I look at myself in a bathroom mirror and go, "what the hell am I doing?" I would prefer to have this onset of soul searching whilst passed out in my bed, so I don't have to think about it and can instead go back to trying to fly.

I have had a few fun times staying out that late, true, but I can tell you right now that nothing happened after 3am that hadn't already happened before it. If by 3am you have not at least started to do whatever you wanted to do, it ain't happening. It's like that one saying I just made up right now: You rarely need that last hour of the night.

And yet anything worth doing always happens after 11pm. Thus we have a real problem on our hands, a problem I spend a lot of time thinking about. In March. Because I am so very, very bored.

Incidentally, my statcounter has tracked a large number of hits on this site back to the Toyama Prefectural General Education Center, which, if I'm not mistaken, is where the Toyama JET top brass reside, so a hearty hello to Corporate! I hope you enjoy my lighthearted jokes about not working, beating my students, and binge-drinking! What a joker I am, right? heh heh.

A lot of people ask me if I'm afraid of what might happen if teachers or administration were ever to read my blog. I tell them that what I say needs to be said. The Japanese education system is severely lacking, my JTE's are the first to say so. There is a reason that performance levels of the Japanese are dropping well behind those of kids at similar educational levels in China and South Korea, and why Japan is losing some of its quality professors to the Universities in those countries; it's because the Japanese education system is dangerously flawed. You simply cannot pass everybody through indiscriminately. There are going to be consequences. It is not enough just to get in. In fact, experts say that in 20 years the whole country of Japan is going to explode! People need to know these things!

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I love the people I work with, and I love the students that put any effort into anything whatsoever. I'm not the greatest teacher, but if the JET program wanted good teachers they would have asked for more hours of teaching experience logged. Let me open my handbook here to find the current number required...

ah, here it is: None.

The portion of kids that harmlessly sleep, while worthless, are not a real problem for me.

The portion that I write about on this thing are the ones that actively work against my attempts to teach them and that beat on retarded kids. And them? Well, we all know what I think about them.

9 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Geoff said...

Another sweet entry. Of course, being march i shall be incessantly checking your blog for updates. i have a horrible feeling that those updates may be much like mine - I still have nothing to do; god I am so bored; what am I doing here?

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Geoff said...

incidentally, I've heard that all Toyama school servers go through the GEC; they're not watching you (but we are).

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

having a glass in half empty kind day are we?!
sweeet things from the weekend: boarding in the beautiful sunshine with awesome fun people; dancing like legends; playing in the castle park; learning stuff about me that you will be able to blackmail me with.
dont be such a big fat misery pants

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you complaining about? No classes, better weather, free weekends to travel the country? I love it!

PS keep up the good (blog) work

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Chris said...

A truer entry has not been written, my friend.

Food for thought: Are there worse things than being bored and having to take the train at 6 am? ...

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Boysters said...

I hear what you are saying brother! The all-nighter is a dangerous beast which saps energy and destroys sundays (and mondays).

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you cannot imagine the anticipation with which I have been awaiting this month. I have just finished inputting grades and...that's it! Nothing! Fuck Jesus' B-day, this is the most wonderful time of year.
I go home completely unstressed and unhating of my coworkers. If I see a student(they don't come around so much no mores) they are always stoked and greet me in the way I have taught them (by yelling a sort of drawn out 'hey' that actually has no form at all so it's just a drawn out grunt). What could be better? Hell, I got paid to go have beers with a co-worker.
In closing, god damn you are a whiney bitch. In fact you could be the bitchin'est bitch that ever bitched...which is to say you are still bitchin'.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Winesoaked Buddha said...

bitchin'

Yeah man, this blog was on time man, really on time. Apparently I'm the only Jr. high teacher here and I'm workin' pretty hard. I find the more I work the better I feel really, if I have a lot of spare time, I start thinkin', "Dude, what the hell am I doing here!!", so I try to stay busy.

again great blog, really loved it. By the way Hi GEC!! Your meetings are boring.

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, another stunning update to keep the rest of us from suffering aforementioned boredom. We appreciate the sacrifice. Thanks!
^.~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home