Thursday, January 12, 2006

I just taught my worst class of the week, and man was it bad.

If you want a textbook example of a lost cause, take a stroll down the first hall of the main building in Koho, and step on in to classroom 2B. The class can be broken down like so: kids that are either mute, or simply will not talk, no matter what--(30%), kids that are retarded in some form--(25%), kids that are pure, unadulterated, troublemaking jackasses--(20%), kids that are actually decent folk, and teachable, but will never learn as a result of the other 75%--(25%).

A word about the Jackass 20%:

Collectively, my co-teacher and I yelled at these five kids a total of 8 times in the span of 40 minutes. What is the issue here? Is there a brain synapse missing with you little shits? I really want to give these kids the benefit of the doubt, i really do, but I think they should all just cut their losses and go straight to the tanning factories and chum-bucket companies of industrial Japan right now, it would save everyone a whole lot of trouble.

Today's lesson was very simple: I showed them a set of English street and store signs, together we translated and explained them, then I asked them to create their own sign (absolutely anything would do) and explain it using the keywords what and why. Simple, right? But noooooooooooo, I felt like I was Alex Trebeck on a Saturday Night Live sketch of Celebrity Jeopardy: Literally any answer would be correct, but no one even gives a single answer.

The five worthless kids don't even bother to write, so I walk up to one of them and ask

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

He looks at me like a labotamized goat. I motion for my co-teacher to come over.

"Could you ask him if he understands the lesson?" I ask.
"Do you understand the lesson?" She asks him in Japanese.
He shakes his head smugly, "I don't understand foreigners," he says, in Japanese.

You don't say! Well Holy Hell! Tanaka doesn't understand foreigners! My God! Someone call this kids parents! How could this be???

Apparently, little Tanaka still hasn't realized that "Understanding Foreigners" is the whole point of the Goddam class! Does he think I stand up there spouting off nonsense about question words and verbs and nouns and prepositions for my health?

No, of course not. He doesn't know. He doesn't even care and he never will. He'll just sit and talk to his two friends (one of whom is convinced he's going to be a comic artist, and instead of listening just draws comics all day, so while he may be able to perfectly shade an anime girl's ass, he still can't even introduce himself in English). I've repeatedly asked that they be seperated, but was told, and I quote:

"There are so many troubled students in that class. I don't think it is good to move them."

I tried to think about how that statement could make even one iota of sense, and gave up only when my head threatened to explode.

Incidentally, many of the kids that did the lesson did it quite well, and often with hilarious results. Two of my favorite signs read as follows:

CAUTION: MONKEY.

and

DANGER: FAT MAN.

6 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B!!!!

I'm assuming this little Tanaka character was not one of your darlings that made me the Christmas cards. Little shit. However, I just can't really picture you yelling at your urchins....you're such a gentle giant....just like Kong. ;) Hang in there babe!

Love you!
Em xxx

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Spare the rod, spoil the child.


:P

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Geoff said...

I feel your pain. It occurred to me this week, while I was explaining why you cannot say "another example" before "for example...", that most of them indeed do not understand. It was a revelation - I'd been fooling myself for the last five months that I was actually teaching them something. My main clue was when I asked the teacher to explain in Japanese she said no, it was ok, they understood. Which was a big fat lie. even the teachers don't care. At my special school this week the dude in charge of the elementary kids had devised a game involving cards with different shops and products on them that the kids had to buy and sell (3oo dollars for a persimmon, I ask you!). Most of the products were wrong (the 'Meet Shop' sold hamberg, and the drugstore sold eye lotion...). Never mind I thought. However, the dialogue he had prepared for them was "are there [....]?" regardless of the singular or plural nature of the product being bought. "Are there bacon?" No, there are most surely not. I'd already spent ten minutes correcting his product spellings and he was so disheartened thatI spent the next 20 minutes teaching his total wrongness to poor retarded children.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Linea said...

I love your post.
I have a class full of girls who use all of their energy to look and act as dim-witted as possible. It's one thing if they really are stupid, but watching them try to be flighty when really they understand the lesson....

DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!!

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B Head
I say bring a big stick to school and beat them up until you get some respect. I mean you have used all other methods to get these brats to pay attention much less learn anything. In the end it is sad for them as they do not use what God has given them and as a result most are doomed to mediocrity.

Gov. Ownes

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bradzilla,
Zach and I concur. Japs are incorrigible.
-Master D and Dober Rover Over

 

Post a Comment

<< Home